Monday, February 13, 2006

So what is it about staying married?

It ain't easy, that's for sure. I was married for 20 years and neither regret the marriage...nor the divorce. My marriage was a jigsaw puzzle with too many pieces that never fit, but my ex-hubby and I continue an amicable, but distant, friendship.

I love to see how two people can remain married or committed over the years. To say "I want to be married" at this stage of the game for me is putting the cart before the horse. "A husband" becomes an item to tick off on my Check List of Life. This was probably a consideration when I was younger. Not anymore.

The longest marriage I've read about recently is a couple who celebrated their, gasp! 71st wedding anniversary on February 9th. A big congrats to Mr. and Mrs. Dick Sembach of Glenwood, Indiana! Post a congrats note there.

Read these very simple "stay married" tips offered by this couple who celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary last year. Can it really be this simple?

Ditto on Carlton and Vernabelle Kastberg who just celebrated their 60th anniversary. Carlton says, "Yes, we’ve had our spats, but we have never gone to bed not speaking.” This is one of the oldest pieces of Marriage 101 advice given, but I wonder how many people actually practice it?

1 comment:

  1. The secret to staying married is to focus on the marriage, not your individual happiness. It helps tremendously to focus on a deepening relationship with your Savior, Christ Jesus. Of course, both spouses must have the same goals. God's blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete